20-year-old Gomes joined United’s youth academy in 2006 and played 66 games in all competitions for the Reds youth before making his senior first team debut in May 2017.
Despite being eager to become one of the club’s top attackers, Gomes struggled to get a grip on first-team playing time and only made ten senior appearances before turning down a new contract that summer.
After Gomes turned down the chance to devote his long-term future to United, he later moved to French team Lille.
Since joining Lille, Gomes has been quickly loaned to Portuguese side Boavista to continue his development.
After Gomes started his loan spell with Boavista on a bang, having been directly involved in seven goals in just five games, it appears that his career has revived.
The 20-year-old recently spoke exclusively to Independent and announced his decision to leave Old Trafford. He said, « I knew it was going to be difficult, but I didn’t quite understand how emotional it was going to be.
« Say goodbye to the friends I have known from the beginning. all the staff; security at the gate. I love everyone there and it was everything I had ever known. I don’t think it went down quite a bit and left everything behind.
« I had the right people around me and stayed on the ground, but when you hit a few lows it starts to build up on you. It can be difficult to show your feelings and you just have to give it your all in training [even when you’re not playing].
« But when you go home you know deep down that you are not quite what you are normal. I’m usually very lively and your family will notice these little changes in you. I wanted to go back to where I was and find happiness in my football. ”
Gomes went on to explain how important Lille sporting director Luis Campos was in his decision to join the Ligue 1 club. He said: “We spoke for a couple of hours, he knew me as a player inside out and he showed me his plan. It was exactly what I needed to hear.
« The first year he wanted me to go to Boavista, it would be a clean affair and I spoke to the manager there and loved his ideas. I didn’t see it as a step backwards, but as my chance to move on. I didn’t want to go anywhere and have the label of being a teenager. I wanted to play 90 minutes, play an important role and show what I can do. ”
Gomes also revealed how former teammate Bruno Fernandes helped him settle off the field in Portugal after the 20-year-old confirmed Fernandes had helped « see apartments, get a car and where to go. » can go out to eat. ”
« It’s actually pretty refreshing, » said Gomes. « A year ago I never thought I would be in this position, but I’m really enjoying it. The manager just wants me to be always on the ball and involved in the game and that’s perfect for me. I am ambitious and excited to see what lies ahead of me, to carry on as I started and to return to Lille full of confidence. ”
« There were times when my size made it seem like people would expect me to do twice as much in a game to justify it, but that’s just an integral part of football. « . I’ve always been little, but when I was younger there was never a problem. It was just something that was mentioned a lot. It didn’t touch me because you play soccer with your feet and your brain, that’s what I love to do.
« There are dozens of players my size who have done incredible things. So I don’t think about it, I just play.
« My mom worked two or three jobs to make ends meet. My brother played for United, helped my mom and took me to training.
« There were times when we had to go to my aunt’s or her friends’ houses just to eat.
“It was difficult, but it was always fun, we had so much fun playing football every day. That was always the reason why I played. to be able to do it with a smile on my face. But I have it back now. That’s all I ever wanted. ”
Manchester United F. . C.. . , Angel Gomes, Boavista F. . C.. . , Manchester, Lille OSC, Bruno Fernandes
EbeneMagazine – USA – Angel Gomes opens up Man United’s emotional train and explains which current star has helped him settle in
. . Related title :
– Angel Gomes opens up Man United’s emotional train, explaining which current star helped him settle in
– Angel Gomes admits he had to leave Manchester United to & # 39; find happiness in my football& # 39; despite love for the club
– <a href = "/? s = Former Man United Starlet reveals that he left the club in the summer to & # 39; reveals that he will leave the club in the summer has to find & # 39; find happiness& # 39; again
– Former Manchester United star Angel Gomes says he had & # 39; wanted to find happiness in my football. & # 39; when he opened . . .
– > Gomes is rediscovering happiness outside of Old Trafford.
– Angel Gomes explains the reasons for Manchester United’s exit after the contract offer has been rejected
– Former utd star Angel Gomes says he & # 39; wanted to find happiness in my soccer ball& # 39;
– Gomes: I left Man Utd to Lille to find happiness in mine Finding football
– Angel Gomes: & # 39; I will always love Manchester United, but I had to find happiness in my football & # 3 9;
– Angel Gomes reveals why he left Manchester United in the summer transfer window