Lewis Hamilton, the Game Changer winner at the GQ Men Of The Year Awards 2020, has surpassed Michael Schumacher in race wins and put him on an equal footing for the World Championship. Now he’s taking the steps to make sure he’s not the last big black motorsport star.
Lewis Hamilton’s skill as a driver has never been so certain: In his 14th. This season in Formula 1 he has now won more races than anyone else. When he finished first at the Portuguese Grand Prix in October, he surpassed Michael Schumacher’s record of 91, a Herculean success. Then, after Hamilton’s Grand Prix win in Turkey that month, he also took Schumacher’s seven world championship wins.
Regardless of his track record, the change he has been anticipating since childhood is still not coming. « My dad always said, » Just talk on the track. « Hamilton said GQ. I thought I was here at the height of motorsport, I thought it was enough . . . But I’ve been here for 14 years and nothing has changed. â ????
As a black man, Hamilton’s experiences with racism began at a young age: At five years old at school, on the road, even when he started karting. When I got professional at all, I was racially abused and no one said anything. one???? Even so, he thought being a trailblazer would be enough to see change.
But then, this summer, the sight of George Floyd’s death woke something up in Hamilton, he explained. It brought up a lot of emotions that I hadn’t even realized I had suppressed. â ????
So, at the first race of the season, he and his team dropped a knee in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement. I remember heat because I knew it would cause a reaction. he told. « To this day, people don’t quite understand what this gesture means. « . This is not a political statement. It’s a human rights problem. â ????
But the visible support wasn’t enough for Hamilton? And so we came up with the idea of putting together a commission to help young black men and women get into our sport. . He’s always hoped that young black kids who saw him on TV would change the way they view motorsport and their approach to this world: now he’s taking more steps than ever to ensure these young talent get the support, they deserve. That’s why we named Hamilton our Game Changer of the Year. If you need more proof why he deserves it? The video above is all you need to see.
Check out the GQ Men Of The Year Awards in collaboration with Hugo Boss on British GQ’s YouTube channel here.
Captain Sir Tom Moore: ‘Negative thoughts don’t seem to be part of me. I always think of the useful things ????
Formula 1, Lewis Hamilton, Bahrain Grand Prix, Mercedes AMG Petronas F1-Team, Max Verstappen, Valtteri Bottas, Red Bull Racing
EbeneMagazine – USA – Lewis Hamilton: â? ?? This is not a political statement. It’s a human rights problem.
. . Related title :
– Lewis Hamilton: & # 39; This is not a political statement. It& # 39; is a human rights problem& # 39;
– <a href = "/? s = Lewis Hamilton contract: Schumacher explains what he heard from & # 39 when Mercedes star asked for a Lewis Hamilton contract: Schumacher explains what belongs to he& # 39 has what Mercedes-Star demands
– Verstappen & # 39; not discouraged& # 39; by gap to Mercedes
– Bahrain GP: Lewis Hamilton prepares for the fight During the race of Sunday& # 39; Duels and danger promises
– F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain LIVE: Lewis Hamilton starts on pole position – latest updates, results
– When is the Bahrain Grand Prix? How to see on TV – practice, qualification, race times
– Bahrain F1 Grand Prix race: UK start time, TV channel, Sakhir live stream and race schedule
– Lewis Hamilton does not think of Pole Century
– > Bahrain Grand Prix 2020: When does the race start today, which TV channel does it run on and what are the chances?
– F1 Bahrain Grand Prix Live Stream: This is how you see it 2020 Bahrain GP from today