On Saturday, the Lions defeated New York City 6-5 on penalties after a 1-1 draw in regular time.
Nani had opened the classification within five minutes from 12 meters, only that Maxime Chanot reached the level three minutes later.
This is what can only be described as the most bizarre penalty shootout that any of us are likely to witness.
With a 4-3 lead from Orlando City, Pedro Gallese’s rescue sparked wild celebrations among his teammates – but they turned out to be premature.
Reruns indicated the goalkeeper had stepped * slightly * off his line and his day was going to get even worse when the referee – who, as we may say, is clearly an absolute job value – gave a second yellow card for the offense.
Manager Óscar Pareja then had to be fetched from the locker room after running down the tunnel thinking his team was through.
Pareja’s next assignment was to win Brian Rowe, his substitute goalkeeper. But then it became clear that you can’t make a submarine during a penalty shoot-out – so he started again. Still with us?
A field player had to go in and couldn’t stop Valentín Castellanos from scoring the 4: 4 goal.
That meant it was up to Nani to score the winning penalty and get Orlando to the conference semifinals just to save his efforts. There were some doubts as to whether the goalkeeper had come off the line but luckily for the sake of brevity they decided to just move on on that occasion.
And there was supposed to be one final twist in the stern as the defender who walked in the gate saved the final penalty. Rodrigo Schlegel, take a bow! Orlando City is even selling versions of its Keeper Kit today to celebrate its exploits.
By this point, Orlando had clearly lost track of the order of the shooting, and they were starting to celebrate again – before remembering that they had one final punishment for themselves.
From start to finish, it took twenty-three minutes to complete the shootout. What an absolutely crazy business.
Orlando City SC, New York City FC, MLS, Pedro Gallese, Playoffs
EbeneMagazine – CA – Former Man Utd star Nani was involved in the most bizarre penalty shootout of all time
. . Related title :
– Former Manchester United Winger Nani was involved in the most chaotic penalty shootout of all time
– & # 39; Scenes, absolute scenes& # 39; – The beautiful farce of the wildest MLS playoff shootout in history
– One of the most bizarre penalty shootouts that ever played in MLS
– Lion Links: 22. 11. 20
– <a href = "/? S = MLS Cup Playoffs: What we have learned in Play-In / Round 1 (so far)" "MLS Cup Playoffs: What we have learned in Play-In / Round 1 learned (so far)
– Orlando City survives bizarre shootout, as the defender takes gloves to seal the wild finish
– a href = « /? s = Lions defeat NYCFC on penalties, advance to Eastern Conference semi-finals « > Lions defeat NYCFC on penalties, advance to Eastern Conference semi-finals nals
– Orlando sent the goalkeeper off and declared the winners at the start of the 21-minute shootout
– Watch the incredible MLS penalty shoot-out with the goalkeeper-expelled illegal submarine, VAR and match-winning defenders . . .