The extreme south peninsula of India is expected to receive heavy rainfall from Monday due to a low-pressure area which is likely to concentrate into a depression over Southwest Bay of Bengal during next 24 hours, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said on Sunday. It is expected to intensify further into a cyclonic storm during subsequent 24 hours, it further said.
“Rainfall activity is likely to increase over extreme south Peninsula from November 23 onwards with fairly widespread to widespread activity over Tamil Nadu during 24th-26th November, over south Coastal Andhra Pradesh, Rayalseema and Telangana on November 25 and 26,” the weather department said in its bulletin.
It has also predicted “isolated extremely heavy rainfall” over Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and Karaikal on November 24 and 25.
“The low pressure area over southwest and adjoining southeast Bay of Bengal has become well marked low pressure area and persists over the same region. It is very likely to concentrate into a depression over Southwest Bay of Bengal during next 24 hours and intensify further into a cyclonic storm during subsequent 24 hours,” the weather department said in its bulletin issued at 1 pm.
“It is very likely to move northwestwards and cross Tamil Nadu and Puducherry coasts between Karaikal and Mahabalipuram around 25th November 2020 noon/afternoon,” the bulletin said.
The fishermen have been advised to not venture into the sea till November 25 as the approaching depression will increase the wind speed, especially in the coastal areas. On November 25, when the cyclonic storm is expected to make the landfall, the wind speed is expected to go up to 80-90 kmph gusting 100 kmph from the current 40-50 kmph.
A cyclonic storm named GATI is also hurtling towards the Indian coast from the Arabian Sea side, the IMD forecast said. The storm is currently 210 kilometres south of Socotra (Yemen) and is likely to move west-southwestwards, according to IMD.
It further said that the system is very likely to move away from the Indian coast and no adverse weather associated with this is expected over the west coast of India. The IMD, however, said that ship and fishermen should avoid venturing into the open sea as precautionary measure.
India Meteorological Department, Tamil Nadu, Bay of Bengal, Low-pressure area, Cyclone, Tropical cyclone
EbeneMagazine – IN – Deep depression in Bay of Bengal, Cyclone Gati in Arabian Sea approach India
. Related title:
– Pre-cyclone watch for TN-Puducherry coast
– Deep depression in Bay of Bengal, Cyclone Gati in Arabian Sea approach India
– Cyclonic Storm Likely to Cross Over Tamil Nadu and Puducherry Coasts on Nov 25 With Heavy Rainfall
– Rainfall likely in TN, Puducherry due to intensified depression over southwest Arabia sea
– Heavy Precipitation in Extreme North and South; Tamil Nadu Under Red Warning Next Week
– Rain Alert: Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Parts of South India to Experience Rainfall, Thunderstorm and Lightning . . .
– Low pressure will bring rain, says IMD
– Cyclonic Storm Likely Over Bay Of Bengal; Alert For Tamil Nadu & Puducherry Coasts
– Weather update: Andhra to witness heavy rains for next two days amid low pressure in Bay of Bengal
– Weather alert: Cyclonic storm over Bay of Bengal likely