A passenger ferry ran aground next to islands between Sweden and Finland yesterday, leaving nearly 430 passengers and crew stranded for the night, the Finns owners and coast guard said.
The « Grace » of the Viking Line, which sailed between the Finnish port of Turku and the Swedish capital Stockholm, hit two rocks. 3 p.m. local time.
It was said that the cause of the accident was not immediately known, but there were strong winds in the area.
« There is no water leak and no immediate threat » to passengers, the Coast Guard said on Twitter.
« The passengers have to spend the night on board and disembark (on Sunday), » said the spokeswoman.
« The ship situation is stable. On Sunday we will let passengers know which ship they can use to return to Sweden and Finland. «
« The situation on board is calm and dinner is being served, » the company told AFP yesterday.
Following a storm warning, the company said it had decided to use the « Grace » in place of a smaller, less robust vessel.
In September, another Viking Line ferry, the Amorella, ran aground on the same Aland archipelago and the passengers had to be evacuated.
© RTÉ 2020. RTÉ. ie is the website of Raidió Teilifís Éireann, Ireland’s National Public Service Media. RTÉ is not responsible for the content of external websites.
MS Viking Grace, Finland, ship landing stage, Viking Line, Baltic Sea, ferry, Åland Islands, Mariehamn
EbeneMagazine – CA – The Finnish ferry runs aground in the Baltic Sea with 429 on board
. . Related title :
– Finnish ferry runs in the Baltic Sea with 429 people on board
– Stranded passengers leave Viking Grace
– More than 400 people stranded after the ferry ran aground in Finland
– Finnish ferry towed after accruing
– The Baltic ferry runs aground in Finnish waters
– Passengers spend a night on a run aground Baltic ferry
– The passenger ferry from the Baltic Sea travels off Finnish islands with over 400 people aground on board
– >> Ferry with hundreds of passengers on board runs aground
– Viking Grace: Finnish ferry towed to safety after being stranded
– Over 400 people were stranded off the coast of Finland when the ferry ran aground.