A decision on the Australian Open can be expected within the next two weeks after speculation that the tournament could be postponed to February or February, even April dominated the penultimate day of the 2020 tennis season.
Craig Tiley, CEO of Tennis Australia, released a statement on Sunday saying the organization is « doing everything it can to end the tennis summer as soon as possible ». .
« Our intention is to deliver a summer in conditions that allow players to prepare and perform at their best, and fans to enjoy their efforts – all in an environment that is safe for everyone involved is « he said.
“We are working closely with the Victorian Government on a plan that will take into account the needs of players, fans, our partners and employees and will be of great benefit to the Victorian and Australian economies.
« We are continuing our urgent discussions with local health authorities about quarantine and biosecurity requirements and are confident that we will make decisions soon.
“We look forward to announcing our ticket sales date as soon as all agreements with the relevant authorities are in place and we have more information on the amount. We assume that this sales date is within the next two weeks. ”
Victorian Prime Minister Dan Andrews said on Saturday he was confident that Melbourne would host the traditional first Grand Slam of the season « early next year, » but the exact timing was not yet known.
Tiley and his team have been in extensive discussions with Andrews and the Victorian Department of Health for several days in other tournaments.
Andrews has indicated that players will not be allowed to play until Jan.. May arrive January 1st and may need to self-isolate in certain hotels for two weeks. That would mean that the ATP Cup with 24 teams, which took place on 4. It would have to be launched in three Australian cities on January 1st, scaled down drastically and relocated to Melbourne, where it would be held, postponed or canceled in a bio-safe bubble.
The uncertainty about the plans has sparked speculation that the first slam of the season could be postponed for a few weeks. The rumor began on Sydney radio with no source cited and was compounded on Saturday by an international report on wired services.
The postponement of the tournament, which will take place on 18. However, due to start January, it would create serious logistical and negotiation problems as this could disrupt the preparation of up to 40 ATP and WTA tournaments, as well as Davis and Fed Cup games. Reorganizing all of these measures would require an unprecedented compromise and collaboration between organizers, sponsors, broadcasters, health authorities and stakeholders.
The organizers of the Australian Open have duly rejected Saturday’s proposals that the tournament would be postponed to February or March as « pure speculation ». . « We did earlier this week . . . [told] how we continue to work closely with the Victorian government and we will release more information as soon as possible and there is no update of that at this time, « a spokesman said.
Australian Open, Tennis Australia, Craig Tiley, Novak Djokovic
EbeneMagazine – AU – The start date for the Australian Open has not yet been set in Covid-19 confusion