Posted: 22:32 GMT, Dec.. November 2020 | Updated: 10:32 PM GMT, Jan.. November 2020
Great referee Nigel Owens says rugby union saved his life from a milestone this weekend.
The Welshman turns 100. Officiate Test in overseeing France against Italy in the Autumn Nations Cup and do so as one of the sport’s most beloved and respected faces.
His story also has a background of resilience after attempting suicide.
Nigel Owens announced that the sport of rugby will bring him before his 100th birthday. Test match saved your life
« I’ve spent about nine to ten years of my life pretending to be who I wasn’t and that almost cost me my life, » he told the World Rugby’s Between the Lines podcast.
‘From that day on when I had that second chance, I’ve always said to myself,’ Just be yourself. ‘.
‘I would like to believe that I have contributed to the game over the years and if so I am really glad because believe me, I owe rugby and the people in the sport more than rugby ever gets to me owe something.
A great referee says he spent much of his life posing as someone he wasn’t
‘I wouldn’t be who I am today without the great sport of rugby. Rugby saved my life. ‘
Owens, who will be 50 next year, added that he never expected to hit the numbers he got on the pipe.
‘When you’re a referee, you don’t really think about milestones. When I turned 71. I became the referee with the highest cap, overtaking Jonathan Kaplan. It wasn’t something that I was chasing, but something that you will notice and be very proud of, ”he said.
‘With these 100 it’s very similar now. If I were to tell you that numbers don’t really matter to me, and if a referee is to tell you that, I don’t think they are being very honest with you because it’s special, something to look back on.
‘With the great quality of referees out there right now, even very young ones, I think they will be some of them in the years to come to reach the 100 cap milestone. ‘
Share what you think
The views expressed in the above content are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
We will automatically post your comment and a link to the message on your Facebook timeline as it is posted on MailOnline. To do this, we link your MailOnline account to your Facebook account. We ask you to confirm this for your first post on Facebook.
Nigel Owens, rugby union, referee
EbeneMagazine – AU – referee great Nigel Owens: ‘Rugby saved my life’
. . Related Title :
– Great Referee Nigel Owens Reveals & # 39; Rugby Saved My Life& # 39; as the respected Welshman prepares to officiate a . . .
– Rugby saved my life, says Owens before the 100th birthday. Test
– & # 39; Hope you & # 39; have another 100 games in you & # 39; – Richie McCaw, Warren Gatland and Eddie Jones among big names too. » . . .
– Nigel Owens: Welshman on the first referee of 100 tests
– & # 39; rugby saved my life& # 39; says referee Owens before the 100th. Test
– >> Owens for 100. Test set for reference
– Pictures | Nigel Owens has before the 100. Test a special whistle for free
– Rugby Welshman Owens is excited as he prepares to officiate in the 100th. Test
– > Owens prepares for the historic 100. Test before … on the farm!
– Tremendous reaction to referee Nigel Owens before the 100th. Test received a special golden pipe