Kieron Pollard became the third batsman in international cricket to achieve the unique distinction of smashing six sixes in an over when he blasted Sri Lanka’s Akila Dananjaya for six consecutive maximums in the first T20I at Coolidge. Pollard joins the ranks of Yuvraj Singh and Herschelle Gibbs – they are the only other batsmen who have achieved the feat in international cricket. While Gibbs smashed Netherland’s Daan van Bunge for six consecutive sixes in the 2007 World Cup, Yuvraj hammered Stuart Broad for six sixes in a row in the World T20 in 2007.
Here is a list of all the batsmen who have achieved the feat in international and domestic cricket.
Kieron Pollard hammered six sixes in the 6th over of the innings taking West Indies from 62 for 4 in 5 overs to 98 for 4 after the powerplay. The bowler at the receiving end was Sri Lanka’s spinner Akila Dananjaya who had, bizarrely taken a hat-trick in his previous over. Pollard was dismissed for 38 off 11 deliveries but that one over of destruction had ensured that West Indies chased down the target of 132 with four wickets in hand and over six overs to spare.
Hazratullah Zazai, the swashbuckling Afghanistan opener blasted a 12-ball fifty playing for Kabul Zwanan against Balkh Legends in the Afghanistan Premier League in 2018 at Sharjah. Zazai achieved the feat in front of his idol Chris Gayle who was playing for the opposition team and had himself hammered 80 off just 48 deliveries. The bowler at the receiving end was left-arm spinner Abdullah Mazari.
Ross Whiteley of Worcestershire took apart left-arm spinner Karl Carver for six sixes in an over during the 16th over of the innings against Yorkshire in their T20 Blast clash at Leeds in 2017. His 65 off 26 balls went in vain as his team fell well short of the target of 234.
Yuvraj Singh displayed one of the most brutal attacks in the history of T20 cricket as he smashed Stuart Broad of England for six consecutive maximums in the World T20 clash between India and England in Durban in 2007. Yuvraj unleashed himself on Broad in the 19th over of the innings and scored 58 off just 16 deliveries. His 12-ball fifty remains the fastest half-century in the history of T20I cricket!
Herschelle Gibbs became the first player in international cricket to hammer six sixes in an over when he got stuck into Netherland’s Daan van Bunge in the 2007 World Cup at Basseterre. Gibbs scored 72 off 40 deliveries as South Africa amassed 353 for 3.
Shastri took a liking to the left-arm spinner, Tilak Raj and blasted him for six consecutive sixes in an over jumping from 147 to 183 in a Ranji Trophy clash between Bombay and Baroda in 1985. Shastri reached his double hundred in just 123 deliveries racing from 100 to 200 in just 43 deliveries! He hammered 9 sixes and 4 fours during his second hundred. It was the fastest-ever double century in the history of First-Class cricket anywhere in the world!
Sir Garry Sobers heaved Malcolm Nash for six successive sixes playing for Nottinghamshire against Glamorgan at Swansea in 1968. It was carnage as the great West Indies all-rounder and captain of Nottinghamshire remained unbeaten on a stunning 76.
– Slam bang: Three times when batsmen hit six sixes in an over in international cricket
– Pause, rewind, play: When Kieron Pollard, Yuvraj Singh and Herschelle Gibbs went 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6
– Six Sixes in an Over: Kieron Pollard and Six Other Players to Achieve the Incredible Feat
– Yuvraj, Gibbs welcome Pollard to six sixes club
– After Kieron Pollard emulates Yuvraj Singh, a list of batsmen who hit 6 sixes in an over
– Kieron Pollard becomes 2nd player after Yuvraj Singh to hit six sixes in an over in T20Is – WATCH
– Herschelle Gibbs welcomes Kieron Pollard to '6 Sixes' club: Mumbai Indians represent 1st 3 to hit 6x6s
– Yuvraj Singh 6 Sixes Remembered After Kieron Pollard Emulates Indian, Netizens Compare
– Kieron Pollard does a Yuvraj Singh, slams 6 sixes in 1 over against Sri Lanka's hat-trick boy Akila Dananjaya
– West Indies captain Kieron Pollard hits six sixes in T20 triumph against Sri Lanka