World number one Novak Djokovic is way ahead with his number of weeks as the world record. In early March 2021, he broke Roger Federer’s long-standing record of 310 weeks and has now extended that lead to 318. He now he started his 319th week as world number one, equaling Serena Williams’ record in the process.
As the new qualifying week progressed, Djokovic started his 319th week as world No. 1. Therefore, he will catch up with Serena Williams after this week’s completion. Serena has been ranked # 1 in the world for 319 weeks and last in March 2017.
Among men, Djokovic leads the record, but combining men and women he now ranks third. Above him are Martina Navratilova and Steffi Graf. Navratilova had a total of 332 weeks, while Graf is the only player who is over 350 weeks at 377.
Djokovic will be moving away from Serena Williams a lot in the coming weeks. With current points and calculations, Djokovic will remain the world’s No. 1 until May 17. He currently has 11,963 points, but is scheduled to lose 500 points for his non-participation in the Madrid Open 2021.
Who could challenge Djokovic for his world number one spot? At the end of this week, Djokovic will have 11,463 points. During this week, while Djokovic does not play, his rivals Daniil Medvedev and Rafael Nadal play. Nadal could earn 640 points, while Medvedev could earn up to 990 points.
After the Madrid Open, the Italian Open begins immediately, and there, Nadal has no chance of scoring points, as he has a full 1000 points to defend from his 2019 win. Therefore, Djokovic’s main rival for the world’s number one spot will be Medvedev.
If the Russian wins the Madrid Open, his points count will rise to 10,690, just 770 points behind Djokovic. Speaking to the local media in Bosnia, Novak Djokovic expressed hope that the visit to the spiritual hub would bring about a change in his « energy » at the next few tournaments – especially Roland Garros.
« I hope to be able to record good results thanks to this energy in the tournaments to come, in particular at Roland Garros, which is the most important for me, » Novak Djokovic said.
Djokovic also credited Osmanagic for his strong results upon the resumption of the tour last year, which came about shortly after his visit to Bosnia. « When I come to see my friend and excellent host Semir Osmanagic, I am always smiling, » Djokovic said. « Last year, I came just before the rest of the season in which I started well. »
– Medvedev's Chase For World No. 1
– Novak Djokovic: 'I hope to be able to record good results thanks…'
– Madrid Open: Daniil Medvedev vs Alejandro Davidovich Fokina 5/5/21 Tennis Prediction
– “Was a Worse Player Than Now”: Daniil Medvedev Recalls Encounter With Roger Federer Ahead of Mutua Madrid …
– MADRID DRAW. Daniil Medvedev's prediction with H2H and rankings
– 2021 Madrid Open Second Round – Alejandro Davidovich Fokina vs Daniil Medvedev Preview & Prediction
– Madrid Open 2021: Daniil Medvedev vs Alejandro Davidovich Fokina preview, head-to-head & prediction
– Davidovich beats Herbert in a match with three tie breaks
– Daniil Medvedev v Alejandro Davidovich Fokina Live Streaming, Prediction & Preview for Madrid Open 2021: Can …
– ATP Rankings: Daniil Medvedev can replace Novak Djokovic to become World No.1 after Rome