News Corp is a network of leading companies in the worlds of diversified media, news, education, and information services.
CHELSEA icon Gus Poyet believes Frank Lampard would have been ‘killed in the press’ if he treated Callum Hudson-Odoi like Thomas Tuchel did.
The Blues gaffer ruthlessly took off the English forward just 30 minutes after coming on against Southampton on Saturday, before publicly slamming his performance.
« In a game where it was not easy to create chances, you need to rely on counter-pressing to force errors to get the second ball and get the easy chance.
« And for that, you need to be totally on and sharp for counter-pressing and I did not feel this with Callum.
« He missed some opportunities for counter-pressing and lost some easy balls and I had the feeling he was never really in the game. »
Before adding: « It’s on him to improve because we need him in some games from the bench. »
And club legend Poyet – who won four major trophies during his spell at Stamford Bridge – has stated Tuchel can get away with what he did as he’s just arrived in England.
Speaking on Monday Night Football, the 53-year-old said: « I think if this was done by Frank Lampard today, he would be killed in the press by every single reporter.
“But because he’s (Tuchel) new, and because he’s just arrived and he’s doing well, it’s just normal.
« When you go to a new club, in the first few weeks everything is alright, even if you make a mistake.
“If you make the same mistake one year later and you’re in the same position you get the sack, that’s natural.”
Tuchel’s decision to haul off Hudson-Odoi didn’t sit down well with Joe Cole, as he claimed it was ‘unnecessary’.
And Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher has insisted Tuchel was wrong for withdrawing the 20-year-old from play.
Though Arsene Wenger has defended Tuchel as he declared Hudson-Odoi looked ‘lost’ at St Mary’s and ‘wasn’t in the game’.
Our journalists strive for accuracy but on occasion we make mistakes. For further details of our complaints policy and to make a complaint please click this link: thesun.co.uk/editorial-complaints/
– Ex-Chelsea boss Frank Lampard would have been 'killed in the press' if he had hauled Hudson-Odoi off like Tuchel
– Arsene Wenger predicts where Chelsea will finish in Premier League after unbeaten run
– The Hudson-Odoi talk that became 'row' and 'inquest'
– Jamie Carragher identifies problem which caused Callum Hudson-Odoi substitution
– Thomas Tuchel's tough love with Callum Hudson-Odoi all part of a wider plan for the Chelsea star
– Thomas Tuchel should not blame Callum Hudson-Odoi for failing in an alien system
– Big Midweek: Atletico v Chelsea, Man City, Suarez, Arteta
– Thomas Tuchel explained Callum Hudson-Odoi substitution to Chelsea squad
– Chelsea boss admits having to address problem in front of squad ahead of Manchester United game
– Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel denounced over Callum Hudson-Odoi treatment by Jamie Carragher