Low cost AI-enabled device to prevent COVID-19 spread: Innovators at Bhopal’s Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) have developed a low cost AI-enabled ‘Crowd and Mask’ Monitoring System to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
As wearing masks and practicing social distancing are among the primary precautions adopted to prevent COVID-19 spread, innovators at IISER developed the AI-powered system to help maintain a minimum of three feet of social distancing as students return to campuses in phases.
The ‘Crowd and Mask’ Monitoring System uses the principles of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI-ML) in a high definition camera attached to a microchip computer and a 5V battery in a 3D printed case to monitor the movement of people in the campus. The device sounds an alert (a pre-recorded message) if the mounted camera detects that social distancing and mask norms are not being followed by students or in a gathering.
Talking about the innovation, Dr PB Sujit, Associate Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, IISER Bhopal, said, “We wanted a simple advisory system to warn students of breaching social distancing norms at selected locations.”
The AI-enabled device that can replicate manual policing to ensure enforcement of COVID-19 prevention norms has been developed Dr Sujit along with Dr Mitradip Bhattacharjee and Dr Santanu Talukdar – Assistant Professors at Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Dr Venkateshwar Rao – Assistant Professor at Department of Chemical Engineering and BSMS student Kasi Viswanath.
The team says it feels that given the opportunity this device can be deployed at various crowded public places to ensure that the basic Covid safety rules are not violated.
Get live Stock Prices from BSE, NSE, US Market and latest NAV, portfolio of Mutual Funds, Check out latest IPO News, Best Performing IPOs, calculate your tax by Income Tax Calculator, know market’s Top Gainers, Top Losers & Best Equity Funds. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Financial Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest Biz news and updates.
– IISER Bhopal team develops a unique 'Crowd and Mask' Monitoring System to prevent Covid-19 spread
– An invention to fight COVID-19: The 'Crowd and Mask' Monitoring System
– IISER Bhopal innovators develop low-cost AI-enabled Crowd and Mask Monitoring System to prevent COVID-19 spread
– IISER Bhopal Innovators develop a unique 'Crowd and Mask' Monitoring System to prevent COVID-19 spread
– COVID-19: Researchers at IISER develop low cost AI-enabled 'crowd and mask' monitoring system
– Experts at IISER-Bhopal use AI tech to maintain social distancing on campus
– IISER Bhopal Innovators Develop Monitoring System To Prevent COVID-19 Spread
– IISER Bhopal Innovators Develop Unique Monitoring System To Maintain COVID Rules
– IISER innovators develop AI-ML powered 'COVID Police' to ensure safety protocols
– COVID-19: Researchers at IISER develop low cost AI-enabled ''crowd and mask'' monitoring system