With the Portland Trail Blazers set to take on the Phoenix Suns on Monday night, Blazers superstar Damian Lillard just got the MVP nod from none other than Phoenix head coach Monty Williams.
Williams heaped praise on Lillard, while also explaining why he believes the Portland point guard is playing at an MVP level right now (h/t Gerald Bourguet of FanSided):
Monty Williams called the Blazers « a well-balanced team with arguably the MVP right now. » Said he doesn’t know anybody that’s carried that kind of load like Damian Lillard
With the type of numbers Lillard is putting up, it’s hard to go against what coach Williams is arguing here. Even Suns fans would probably agree that Dame is playing some MVP-caliber basketball at the moment — something that they hope to contain when the Suns host the Blazers on Monday.
Then again, there is another dude in Phoenix who has had some noteworthy performances of late. Chris Paul, who joined the Suns in the offseason as part of a trade deal with the Oklahoma City Thunder, has been nothing short of outstanding for his new team so far this term. The 35-year-old veteran has been one of, if not the primary reason why the Suns have emerged as a serious contender in the West right now.
This then sets up an epic head-to-head battle between two all-time great point guards. Lillard will hope to lead the Blazers to another win on Monday — potentially their seventh victory in the last eight games — against Paul and Co., who themselves have lost just two out of their 11 contests in the month of February. Expect fireworks.
– Portland Trail Blazers suffer blowout loss at Phoenix Suns: Live updates recap
– Blazers star Damian Lillard gets MVP vote from surprising person
– Booker scores 34, Suns roll to 132-100 win over Blazers
– Blazers at Suns: Prediction, point spread, odds, over/under, betting picks (Feb. 22)
– Blazers vs. Suns odds, line, spread: 2021 NBA picks, Feb. 22 predictions from proven computer model
– Portland Trail Blazers vs. Phoenix Suns Game Day Thread
– NBA player props: 4 best bets for Monday, February 22
– Trail Blazers vs Suns Picks: Phoenix Rising
– [Subscribe to the Talkin' Blazers Podcast
– Advanced computer model locks in picks for Blazers vs. Suns, Feb. 22 2021