News Corp is a network of leading companies in the worlds of diversified media, news, education, and information services.
CHELSEA are ‘quietly’ growing in confidence that they can sign Erling Haaland this summer, according to reports.
The lethal Borussia Dortmund striker is attracting interest from all around Europe, having scored 43 goals in 43 games for the German giants.
Manchester United, City, Real Madrid and Liverpool are all thought to be monitoring the 20-year-old’s situation, and are attracted by the £65million release clause that will come into play in 2022.
But Chelsea believe that they can get ahead of the chasing pack by placing a bid BEFORE the clause becomes active.
According to Eurosport, the Blues are making ‘progress’ behind the scenes in convincing those close to Haaland that Stamford Bridge is the right destination for him.
They believe that their £200million spend last summer, plus the appointment of Thomas Tuchel, underlines their ambition.
Chelsea are likely to face strongest competition from Manchester City, however, as Erling’s father’s former club look to clear a path to sign Alf Inge’s prodigious offspring.
Sergio Aguero’s contract is set to expire in the summer, leaving City possibly in need of a world class heir to the prolific Argentine’s No10 shirt.
Dortmund know that they’ll face a battle to keep their star striker, and expect to receive more interest in him than in winger Jadon Sancho.
And any fee this summer is almost certain to be significantly higher than the £65m that could be triggered a year later.
Chelsea are claimed to not believe in Olivier Giroud or Tammy Abraham as viable long-term options as their first-choice No9.
And they could look to explore the German market once again in the summer, having bought Timo Werner and Kai Havertz in 2020.
Our journalists strive for accuracy but on occasion we make mistakes. For further details of our complaints policy and to make a complaint please click this link: thesun.co.uk/editorial-complaints/
– Chelsea 'confident' of Haaland transfer as they plot to blindside Man Utd with bid BEFORE £65m release clause activates
– Woman, 105, infected by Covid credits survival to gin-soaked raisins
– Abramovich 'to hand Chelsea Sh40 billion warchest' to sign Haaland
– Matthaus effectively rules Bayern Munich out of Haaland transfer running
– Chelsea want Haaland 'at any cost', Arsenal's Bellerin to PSG – Man Utd, Tottenham, Liverpool transfer updates
– Erling Haaland: Chelsea growing more confident of winning transfer race – Transfer Notebook
– Abramovich wants Haaland 'at all costs' in £259m Chelsea spree
– Chelsea transfer news: Erling Haaland pursuit receives significant update
– Haaland Transfer News: Striker Will Demand £300k-a-week Deal; Manchester Clubs Interested
– Haaland told Bayern Munich are 'only step for him' but Matthaus doubts deal will be done until Lewandowski leaves